Recruitment can be one of the most important yet difficult tasks for a business. In our work with the heavy equipment industry, we’ve seen that this is especially true for technicians. Having someone with the knowledge and skills necessary to work efficiently and effectively, all while maintaining trust and turning one-off service requests into life-long customer relationships is critical to a dealership’s success.
So how can you successfully recruit machinery technicians? A comprehensive, multichannel approach can improve your recruitment tactics and help your business stay ahead of the competition.
The careers page on your website should be at the core of your recruitment strategy. A high-quality landing page that is easy to find and navigate goes a long way in making the application process as straightforward as possible If candidates can browse open positions and apply directly from your website, it may help you appeal to skilled candidates and make the consideration and application process seamless. Consider optimizing the following sections of your website for prospective hires:
- About Us. This is where you introduce potential applicants to your company. Make your business values and mission clear. Include a list of employee benefits so jobseekers can understand your company and what you offer immediately.
- Team Overview. Include a page or paragraph to introduce candidates to the team they may join. Explain how technicians fit within the business, the skills necessary to excel in this position, the equipment that technicians work on, training requirements, and more. Giving detailed insights into the role can help eliminate candidates that are not qualified or truly interested.
- Current Openings. Make sure you have up-to-date job listings for all open technician positions. Having a “Featured Jobs” section can allow you to highlight specific openings that are your priority to fill, but make sure that all open positions are included with detailed job descriptions.
- Testimonials. Add authenticity to your website and let candidates get to know your company more by including testimonials from current employees. These can be in the form of quotes, videos, or images.
- Benefits. Make sure to include any relevant information that will help you stand out from the competition. If you offer tuition reimbursements, hands-on training, or other unique benefits, outline these advantages clearly.
- External Links. Make it easy for candidates to follow your company and keep an eye on open positions they may be interested in by including links to your blog and social media.
Once your website is optimized and your careers page is good to go, one of the easiest ways to get in front of jobseekers is by posting on job boards. With countless paid and unpaid options online, it can easily become time consuming placing all open positions on a variety of job boards. Choose the job boards that are most relevant to your business and prioritize the sites that deliver the best candidates. Start with a few that cater specifically to your industry and demographics and build out slowly until you find the mix of third-party job boards that are best for your business.
One of the best ways to find new hires for your team is to ask current employees for referrals. This is a tactic we employ at Adpearance because we’ve found that an employee referral program is a great way to increase applicant quality along with overall employee engagement. Encourage your employees to share open positions on social media and with their connections by offering incentives if a candidate they refer is hired. We’ve seen that good employees tend to recommend candidates they trust, so it’s highly likely that you will find skilled technicians this way.
Think of social media as the top of your recruitment funnel. We’ve seen LinkedIn and Facebook as the two most effective platforms for recruiting technicians. To put them to work for your business, start by creating compelling post content that clearly outlines the position(s) you are hiring for. If you move forward with an employee referral program, encourage employees to share this content or post open positions on their social media profiles to expand your reach. And, if you have the budget, consider a paid social media campaign that delivers ads to your target audience. A little ad spend goes a long way, thanks to Facebook and LinkedIn’s robust targeting options.
Highly skilled technicians are essential for customer satisfaction and loyalty, and an effective recruitment strategy can positively affect your company’s bottom line. Keep a multichannel, always-on recruitment strategy in place to ensure that you don’t miss out on your ideal employee. If you’re interested in a complete marketing plan to support recruitment, reach out for a free analysis.